Insomnia is defined as difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both. In most cases it is a symptom and not a disease and reflects an underlying process. You can treat insomnia with medication, but it is best that you talk with your doctor before you do so.
- Mental tension due to anxiety, worries, overwork and over excitement.
- Suppressed feelings of resentment, anger and bitterness.
- Constipation, dyspepsia, over-eating at night, excessive intake of tea and coffee and sleeping without having food.
- Smoking, as it irritates the nervous system.
- Worrying about falling asleep.
Doctors all over the world prescribe sleeping pills, but they are habit forming and become less effective if taken over a long period of time. Sleeping have many side effects e.g. they lower I.Q., numb brain and can be deadly if taken before or after alcohol or taken in excess, indigestion, skin rashes, and lowered resistance to infection, circulatory and respiratory problems, poor appetite, high blood pressure, kidney and liver problems and mental confusion.
There are a number of natural cure for insomnia which you can try on your own. Read on:
- One effective way to cure insomnia is to cut down on your caffeine intake. Your brain gets stimulated by coffee, so make sure that you drink only two cups per day. Ensure that post noon you do not consume foods or beverages containing caffeine.
- Drink a cup of milk to which half a teaspoon of honey has been added. This is a very good natural remedy for insomnia.
- Take a hot bath at least two hours before you go to bed as this will help you relax. Bathing closer to your bedtime may not be a good idea as it could stimulate you and delay sleep. It is best that you experiment and find out what time works best for you.
- A natural treatment for sleeplessness is to play some music that is soft and soothing. This will help you to sleep. You can pick up some CDs which are specially designed for this purpose.
- Drinking herbal tea can be an effective way in treating insomnia. You could try drinking some hot anise, fennel, chamomile, or catnip tea. The natural ingredients in them will help you get sleep. Check the health food stores in your locality for some special blends.
- The worst thing that you can do is toss and turn in bed. If it takes you more than 30 minutes or so to fall asleep, stop trying. Indulge in some simple and quiet activity such as watching TV or reading a book. When you start feeling tired, go back to bed.
- Ensure that your room is well ventilated and allows in fresh air. A comfortable room temperature that falls in the 60 °F to 65 °F degrees range will help you sleep better. This is also known to be an effective sleeplessness treatment.
- It sure feels good taking a nap during the day, but it is best you avoid napping as you would then have trouble sleeping the next night. It makes sense, therefore, to avoid sleeping for a small period of time and waiting till bedtime, by when you will really be sleepy.
- Physical disorders may be the cause of insomnia. In some cases it is stress and anxiety that may cause insomnia and this can be corrected by using some of the techniques provided in this article. Besides these natural cures for insomnia, your doctor may sometimes prescribe certain drugs as a treatment for insomnia; however, use these as a last resort.